Apparently, we do. We have had 7 doctor visits in two weeks. Granted, two of those were for me (OB visits), but 5 of them were for Amelia. Five. In two weeks. It started off with Pinkeye. The nastiest case of pinkeye I've ever seen. She literally had green oozing clear down to her chin. Round one of antibiotics, in eye drop form. This led to an ear infection. Round 2 of antibiotics, this time in oral form. This did not help, and led to a double ear infection. By this time, James had crusty, goopy eyes. Round 3 of antibiotics for Amelia, round 1 for James. Woke up this morning after 6 days on antibiotic #3 with a fever of 102.8 (after being up many, many times during the night. I find I'm not as compassionate as I would like to be at 2 A.M.). So, back to the doctor again. This time, her right ear is completely back to normal (Hooray!), but her left ear is still infected. However, it does look better than the last time, so he didn't feel we needed to switch antibiotics yet again or see the ENT quite yet. His best guess is that the poor girl now has a virus on top of the infections which will just have to run its course. When Amelia sleeps on her own free will in the middle of the day, I know she doesn't feel well. She's been asleep almost all day and has eaten nothing. Thankfully, the antibiotics seemed to work fine for James and he is almost back to his normal, busy self. Maybe it's because he wasn't constantly on them for the first 18 months of life like Amelia was. Who knows.
Despite the numerous trips to the doctor and the general feeling of crumminess amongst my children, I am very thankful that it something treatable and not serious. It seems to me that every time I turn on the computer or talk to another friend, someone else is experiencing serious trials, whether it be miscarriages or cancer or some other major medical issue. I sometimes wonder why the Lord allows some people to go through struggle after struggle while we seem to be rather unscathed.
No comments:
Post a Comment